Friday 6 February 2009

Words and life- Juggernaut 1

I have always liked to explore words and their meanings. When I was in standard 7 or 8 I bought my first dictionary, it was English to Sindhi. Yes, I did my school education in Sindhi medium which has meant that I can read and write in Arabic script too. Perhaps you may know that Sindhi language has 52 alphabets. Sindhi Language is quite close to Sanskrit and Ancient Sanskrit. I will talk about Sindhi language some other time but now let me turn back to words.

Juggernaut is a word in English which means a powerful force that is unstoppable. It could be said that in business a particular company, say Microsoft in software or Google in internet business are like juggernauts. But do you know what this English word's orgin is? Well it is derived from the name of Lord Krishna, yes, one of the many names of Lord Krishna is Jagannath. Lord Jagannath of Puri city in eastern state of Orissa is famous among Hindus and Jagannath Yatra (a religious procession) is an spectacular occassion and juggernaut is related to this procession. In the next posting more will be explained about how the word Jagannath term travelled from eastern India to modern day English in the following posting. Till that time happy reading whatever else you are reading. Check this out in a week's time.
Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sir, thanks for sharing this info with me..please do keep on spreading your knowledge always...
    one thing that caught my interest was you have done your schooling in sindhi medium.. sir i really think you hv made all sindhies, gandhidham n specially tims feel very proud...
    take care sir.
    Best Regards,
    Neelam Dhawan

    ReplyDelete

Please note if you post comments on any of the postings, they will be published on the blog. However, if you wish them not to be published on the blog, write at the bottom of your comment 'NOT TO BE PUBLISHED'.
Thanks.

Followers